Sunday, April 28, 2013

Hebel (or thewritingmoment)

I posted recently about wanting to be a writer.  This week I've thought several times: wow, I really should sit and write that down.  It would make a great blog post!  I can't wait to use that idea for a sermon!  And then something else grabs my attention and I move on and don't do anything with it.  The moments pass so fast and I never remember them.  It's like chasing after the wind.  The writing moment is really just a second in my eyes.  The writing impulse is the tiniest tic of a hardly-felt nerve.  If I gave my body more attention I'd notice it, but I can't usually be bothered.  Fleeting and vain is my affinity for writing.  I need a way to capture these moments and give them some attention and effort.

What would appeal to my sensibilities is to carry around a tiny little journal, a moleskine notebook to write everything down in, the way Jamal does in Finding Forrester (one of my favorite movies since I first saw it in high school).  Except for the fact that I loathe carrying things in my pockets, it would work out well.

So, I decided to try to enter the (terrifying) digital age.  I created a Twitter account.  Literally for this purpose: to give myself a place to instantly keep and store some of the ideas that I want to go back to and write about later.  It's my writer's notebook, if you will, a list of topics I need to come back to when I have the time and intention to write about them... at least, that's the ideal.  Twitter is going to be my tool; we'll see if having it increases the labor for which I'm adding it to my toolbox.

Will it work?  We'll see!

If you are truly desperately bored, you can find me on the Twitterverse at @pilgrimbarefoot

No comments:

Post a Comment